Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

luques gaitas

Moderators: earthjig, anima

luchovalpo

luques gaitas

Post by luchovalpo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:33 am

henriqueferreira

Re: luques gaitas

Post by henriqueferreira » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:01 am

I know this bagpipe maker.

I have three sets of him: Re (D- grileira), Do (C-redonda) and Si bemol (B flat- Tumbal).
And now he is making for me one set in A !

His bagpipes are very good and he uses hard woods from Brazil.

My bagpipes are made in baroque style and the fringes were made by his wife's hands. Very beautifull !

The principal "mark" of his gaitas is the sound of the drones (roncos). Are louder than the others. The video you sent shows this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp41mAZ7sHY
That's because he makes the antique style of bagpipes made by Perfecto Feijoo with louder drones. If you use hard reed in the chanter, it will be louder than the Seivane style. In my ponion Luques' bagpipes are classified as a "gaita macho" (male bagpipe). The Seivane style are "female gaita" (gaita femea) that sound not too loud.

Carlos Nunez, one of the most important galician bagpiper, has 2 bagpipes made by Luques: one galician bagpipe in antique style, with an open bell end on the drone (that Luques made using some medieval iconographies), and one gaita transmontana (bagpipe of Portugal).
Luques is descendant of spanish and portuguese and lives in Brazil. So he makes portugueses bagpipes too.

If you search in the menu in his site http://www.gaitadefolebrasil.com.br you will find the page "depoimentos" (testemonials). You will see one photo and one video of Carlos Nunez playing the Luques' transmontana bagpipe and giving his testomonials.

Henrique.
Attachments
DSCF1368.JPG
Gaita em Re - Grileira
DSCF1368.JPG (418.98 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
DSCF1318.JPG
Gaita em Si bemol - Tumbal
DSCF1318.JPG (484.62 KiB) Viewed 1786 times
DSCF1228.JPG
Gaita em Do - Redonda
DSCF1228.JPG (419.35 KiB) Viewed 1765 times

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: luques gaitas

Post by anima » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm

thanks for the in-depth review of his pipes. :-)
The Managment....