Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Electronic Galician gaita (among other types)

Moderators: earthjig, anima

Art

Electronic Galician gaita (among other types)

Post by Art » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:56 am

Have you noticed this electronic bagpipe? It's available in many versions, including Galician, but not Asturian.
http://www.redpipes.eu/Seiten_engl/modelle_e/Gaita.html

The maker told me that Asturian gaitas weren't popular enough. I wonder how many Galician versus Asturian gaiteros there are? Any ideas?

oregaiteiro

Re: Electronic Galician gaita (among other types)

Post by oregaiteiro » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:18 am

I've heard that there are 90,000 plus Galician pipers. Far fewer Asturian pipers, but I don't know the number. 90,000 in a population of 2 1/2 million is a pretty good ratio, I think!

Art

Post by Art » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:25 am

That's interesting, Oregaitero.

Asturias has about 1 million in population, so it is much smaller than Galicia. In Asturias playing the gaita nearly died out, but was revived in the 1970s, I believe. Was the popularity of gaita playing healthier in Galicia during the Franco era?

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:09 am

Ouch! I´m sorry with these electronic bagpipe. Maybe the sound can be the best.....but the freak aesthetic makes me laugh...

I hope the personal of vpipes (http://www.vpipes.com/) will make a really good model of Galician/Asturian Electronic pipes.

And about asturian gaitas popularity......I´m sure they are more popular than the "new-germanic-pseudo-medieval-bagpipes"... But you know Art, if someone can´t offer something, then is why it´s not very popular ;))))

oregaiteiro

Post by oregaiteiro » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 am

Art - Luife can probably answer better than I, but I think there was no public support for gaitas during the Franco regime. Except I think there were some gaita bands in the military. Franco, though Galician himself, oppressed tradtional Galician culture as I understand it. There was an explosion in interest in Galician traditions, music and language after he died, and the world of gaitas benefitted greatly.. So did we all.

I am about to order a vpipes - the thought of an instrument that will be able to be all the bagpipes I own rolled up into one, playable , with good sound and accurate fingering techniques, always in tune, and which will let me practice with headphones, is too much to resist.

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:13 am

I haven´t any serious information about this, only the testimonials of o some old pipers I have talked in Galicia, Asturias and Zamora:

I don´t believe that the Gaita was controlled in Franco time, it only has developed a different way, at least in Galicia: the agrupation in Coros. Today, there is another phenomenon in Galicia: Gaita bands. Time is time, and instruments take differents ways according to the demography, the modes, the players opinions....

In Galicia, during the Franco era, you can see a lot of Gaitas with red and yellow bag covers (like the Spanish flag): some people says this is a imposition from the political power. Well....today you can see a lot of black bag covers and we haven´t any dictator. And, during the Franco era, you can see another types of bag covers without the spanish flag colours in Galicia, Asturias and Zamora. I think it´s only an aesthethic reason acording with modes.