Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Gaita makers

Moderators: earthjig, anima

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: Gaita makers

Post by anima » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Ok, still learning the Spanish names for the parts of the gaita.
ronquilla=big drone, chillon=small drone? what about the 3rd little drone?

Jeff
The Managment....

Keltia-Art

Post by Keltia-Art » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:00 pm

Roncón/bordón=Bass drone
Ronquillo/Ronquín=Tenor drone
Chillón=Galician double reeded small drone
Punteiro/punteru/puntero=Chanter
Palleta/payuela=Chanter reed
Pallón/payón=Drone reed
Fol/fueye=Bag

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:57 pm

What do you call the big tassel hanging off the bass drone?
The Managment....

dan chaffee

Post by dan chaffee » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:29 am

Hi Luife,
I am also curious about the male/female distinction with gaitas. When I listen to this
youtube performance by Mojon <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0-nib7i ... annel_page> it seems he is playing a Seivane, but his chanter's sound is much different that what I here from Susana Seivane and many others playing Seivane instruments. Is this an exmple of "male" sounding chanter?

Dan

Keltia-Art

Post by Keltia-Art » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:52 am

anima wrote:What do you call the big tassel hanging off the bass drone?
The fringes and tassels of the gaita are called farrapos

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:06 am

You have a good eye, Dan.

This is a Seivane bagpipe (female), but there are numeous factor: the place with the accustic, the reed, the distance of the cam recorder,etc.

A female bagpipe can sound very "male" with the reed very open, and a male bagpipe can sound very "female" with the reed very closed.

But don´t worry with male or female bagpipes, there is not an enciclopedic concept... It´s only a good way for make differences between schools of makers.

lucky141

Post by lucky141 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi, I have a gaita made by Alfonso Castro... do you know if it can be considered 'male' or 'female'?
I think it could be a 'female' one, but I have never had the live opportunity to compare its sound with another gaita (except another one from the same constructor...) so I can't say if it's loud enough to be considered 'male'...

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:49 am

Alfonso Castro is a pupil of Anton Corral, so he makes MALE bagpipes.

I think the problem is in the reeds: Alfonso sometimes put their "personal" reeds in his bagpipes. They are "easy" reeds, not very open, so the sound can be a little female. But I can hear some Castro Bagpipes that sounds very male.

luchovalpo

Post by luchovalpo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:11 pm

last weekend I was in a birthday party (fiesta) organised by a bagpipe fanatic friend.... so in a big room of a large manor house we had a session that ended playing galicians, & asturians against a single scottish bagpiper by turns.... There, we had a comparative world of gaitas playing.... a Pravianu asturian gaita, a single Sito Carracedo, another Xil, one from xeito de Corral, a few Seivane's, and two Argayl's from Argentina... from this fiesta tasting..... some players requested to play other's gaita.... and we ended that most requested the Sito Carracedo, Corral and Xil sets followed by Seivane's....
the Argayls were left out and were heard just when we all played togetther some muiñeiras, the asturian and galician anthems, and the birthday song. Some also played session scot/irish repertoire such as clumsy lover, Blarney pilgrim and atholls highlanders and here the macho gaitas were left out so acordions, flute, fiddles, etc. could be heard.. A few tried the scottish monster in the yard outside but indeed that is another story.... As most of us were gaiteiros we ended talking about sex.....
A year ago I wrote something on the sexes in the gaita world that from time to time we talk in our pipeband.
More at: http://festivalpo.blogspot.com/2008/01/ ... aitas.html

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:27 pm

I´m agree with the things that you have write :)