Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Gaita makers

Moderators: earthjig, anima

oregaiteiro

Re: Gaita makers

Post by oregaiteiro » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:35 am

The reeds for Seivane, and Corral style differ in the shape of the scrape, but look very similar. The scrape on Corral style is more rounded at the bottom , while the Seivane style has more of a V shape. I don't think the reeds themselves produce the difference in volume, as I have swapped them around in my punteiros, and the Corral ( male ) style chanter is still louder with both reed types, but the appropriate reed definitely makes its respective punteiro happier. That said, one can make the the Seivane style punteiros quite loud by opening up the reed, and one can soften the Corral style as well - though still hearing differences.

Sure would be fun to be at an exposition where one could hear examples of 5-10 different pipemakers wares.

Art

Post by Art » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks, Oregaitero, I hadn't heard about this before.

Yeah, a gathering would be fun!

John Cunningham

Post by John Cunningham » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:42 am

The website for gaita maker Anton Varela is now up and running - http://www.terra.es/personal9/981431549 ... index.html - In the Galeria section under Detalles, he shows a "Ronco afinable". Does that mean that the ronco can be tuned to sound 2 different notes, depending upon which chanter the gaitero is playing, for example, from Do to Re?

Luife, wouild you describe his gaitas as "masculine" or "feminine?"

Art

Post by Art » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:32 pm

I think any roncon is tunable, but some Galician gaitas do have a two-key roncon. I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that this one does have two possible tonalities.

I've seen one gaita that had a ring (just under the bell/cup) with a hole in it. You spin the ring around to open or close the higher key's hole. But the ring was broken on that one, so it could be fragile.

The the main one will certainly have the traditional sound, but I can't imagine that the higher key would have the same sound, given that the sound hole appears below the bell/cup. Does anyone know about that?

oregaiteiro

Post by oregaiteiro » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Hey Art - I think that some have done a tuning hole on the ronco. I think the Seivanes have much better options. One can swap out the center section for a shorter or longer one - thus making a ronco tune in D, C or Bb, with no loss of tone. Also a D pallon in a C ronco will make it play in D, and in a Bb ronco will make it play in C. So there are many options. Seivane sells a 'kit', so that if one wants to play in both C and Bb, the gaita comes with punterios in those keys, with two center sections for the ronce, and with two tops for the ronqueta. Thus two bagpipes in one. Or you can get a C, D combination ( with the interesting option of putting both the C and D section together on the ronco, and then it will play in Bb). Yahoo.Presto. Very cool. A number iof California gaiteiros have this kind of arrangement.

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:55 pm

The Varela´s drone was invented for play in C and D, but if you play in D, you need to open the hole, so you lose the reverberation of the drone´s bell. I would prefer the central piece system, because you don´t lose the reverberation. In bagpipes without drone´s bells like Northumbrian smallpipes, the tunning-hole works very well, you don´t lose any reverberation because you don´t have bells.

My Dear John, Varela was a pupil of the ancient Seivane, and I have some marvellous bagpipes and chanters from his workshop: I can affirm he makes female gaitas (except the reproduction of the old style chanters, louder than the modern ones).

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Little comment: What happends if you left a C male gaita and a C female gaita 4 hours in a private room???

They will create little baby-gaitas in high F :PPPPPPPPPPPPP

(Drunk-piper joke) ;)

Art

Post by Art » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 am

Thanks, Luife, for the info on the sound of the tunable roncón's sound. Have you heard the difference? Does that roncón sound like any other bagpipes you know of?

My Asturian gaita is dual-key, but I think that is always a compromise solution. In other words, having two separate gaitas would be optimal, if money weren't a problem.

If, for example, you add the dual-key feature to a gaita in C and you also want to play in Bb, I believe this creates a slightly different inner bore of the roncón for the longer Bb key than would be normal. Also, the stock/asiento for the roncón has to be longer to accommodate the longer payón of the lower Bb key. I don't know for sure, but I can imagine that these changes could create slightly different air flow patterns for both keys.

I'd agree, too, that you probably need a longer middle section of the roncón. My first attempt was to just lengthen the tuning joint on the roncón. It's long enough but is a bit too wobbly to be secure.

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:17 am

As you Said Art, the best thing is get different bagpipes with different tunnings, with their own internal diameters, their different stocks, etc...

I had in the past a C/D drone with the tunning hole. In C it sounds normal. In D, it sounds like a Galician D drone with less volume, probably quite similar to a lowland pipe (I have never played a lowland pipe, but I suppose their drones sound less than galician gaitas because they haven´t bells)

Art

Post by Art » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:52 pm

The friend of mine who has the C/D Galician gaita with the hole and ring in the drone has just plugged the hole. I may have this backwards, but I think he plays the D chanter with the C drone (the D hole plugged) because he likes the odd interval it produces. As I recall from years ago, I sounds like medieval or early music.