Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Pictures of your Gaita Asturiana

Moderators: earthjig, anima

CHUS SOLIS

Re: Pictures of your Gaita Asturiana

Post by CHUS SOLIS » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Thank you anima, only it is my work.
Tutor of asturian gaita and manufacturer.
etimta.nireblog.com

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Wed May 06, 2009 12:30 am

Am I right in thinking that the boxwood blanks get bored through the center, rather than quartering them, and then boring? If so, is that normal practice?(I have to say that if it is, that's incredible! (non-makers, please ignore this post.))

CHUS SOLIS

Post by CHUS SOLIS » Wed May 06, 2009 1:38 am

Hola Yuri, no entiendo muy bien tu pregunta.

Si te refieres a las incrustaciones, se perforan primero en la pieza, después se tornean los machos se encajan y encolan, se tornea toda la pieza, se lija y pule.

El material no es boj es resina de poliéster que se compra en barras y lo tienen las fabricas de botones, tienen unos colores muy interesantes, la pega es que es un material muy frágil y difícil de tornear.

Las incrustaciones son una práctica más común en Galicia que en Asturias donde los acabados son más sobrios.

Un maestro en esta práctica, que además es un ejemplo y referente (pienso yo) para todos los artesanos de la gaita de España es el gallego Antón Corral, si me es posible conseguiré subiré alguna imagen de su trabajo que es impresionante.

¿era esto?

Un abrazo de un colega asturiano.
etimta.nireblog.com

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Wed May 06, 2009 2:22 am

Well.... Yeah..... I tried. To use both languages open to me to be translated into, that is. What can I say? It's a total washout. In Russian Babelfish (and the oters) translated about 3 words out of 50, leaving the rest as they are. In Hungarian (the other one I speak), I couldn't get it to translate at all, as I didn't know how to get "subject" and oh, whatever it was into the program. Can we have a translator into English soon? Otherwise I think I'll need to learn Spanish. (and probably Galician, and Aragonese, and Catalan, and maybe even Basque. Not to mention Portugese.)
I understood one question, about whether I speak Estonian. No, I don't. That's anoter one to learn.

CHUS SOLIS

Post by CHUS SOLIS » Wed May 06, 2009 2:43 am

Lo siento Yuri, yo no domino más idiomas que los propios.

Escribo en castellano gracias a que Anima se ofrecio para traducir los mensajes al Inglés.

Disculpa la falta de entendimiento intentaré escribir en Inglés.
etimta.nireblog.com

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Wed May 06, 2009 4:12 am

You know, I actually nearly understood that. Maybe I do have a hope of learning Spanish..

CHUS SOLIS

Post by CHUS SOLIS » Wed May 06, 2009 5:59 am

CHUS SOLIS wrote:Hola Yuri, no entiendo muy bien tu pregunta.

Si te refieres a las incrustaciones, se perforan primero en la pieza, después se tornean los machos se encajan y encolan, se tornea toda la pieza, se lija y pule.

El material no es boj es resina de poliéster que se compra en barras y lo tienen las fabricas de botones, tienen unos colores muy interesantes, la pega es que es un material muy frágil y difícil de tornear.

Las incrustaciones son una práctica más común en Galicia que en Asturias donde los acabados son más sobrios.

Un maestro en esta práctica, que además es un ejemplo y referente (pienso yo) para todos los artesanos de la gaita de España es el gallego Antón Corral, si me es posible conseguiré subiré alguna imagen de su trabajo que es impresionante.

¿era esto?

Un abrazo de un colega asturiano.

Hello Yuri, I do not understand very well your question.

If you refer to the inlays, they are perforated firstly in the piece, kater the cylinders are turned and are fitted They are fitted and you join with tail finally the whole piece is turned and one gives sheen.

The material is not a box is a resin of polyester It is bought in bars and the factories of buttons have it they have a few very interesting colors, the problem is that it is a material very fragile and difficult to turn.

The inlays are a more common practice in Galicia, in Asturias the finished ones are in the habit of being more sober.

A great teacher of this work, he is the Galician Anton Corral, His work is impressive, i will try to contribute some image.

Was this one your question?

An embrace of an Asturian colleague.

Bufff ... I wait understand it, it is difficult a lot of work to me to write this in English language
etimta.nireblog.com

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am

Ok , here's Chus' original post translated to English. :D

Hello Yuri, I do not understand your question very well.

If you are referring to the inlays,they are drilled in the first piece, then the inserts are fitted and sized, the whole piece is is turned and then sanded and polished.

The material isn't boxwood, it is a polyester resin bought in bars from factories that make buttons. They have some very interesting colors, the catch is that it is a very fragile and difficult to turn.

Decorative inlays are a more common practice in Galicia; in Asturias the finish is more sober.

The master of this technique, who serves as an example and reference (I think) for all of the artisans of Spain is the Galician Antón Corral, I'll try to upload some pictures of his work, it's impressive.

Is that what you were asking?

Greetings from a Spanish colleague,
The Managment....

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Wed May 06, 2009 9:43 am

Chus" 2nd post:

Sorry Yuri, I'm not a master of any languages other than my own.

I write in Castilian because Anima offered to translate the messages to English.

Excuse the lack of understanding, I'll try to write in English.
The Managment....

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Thu May 07, 2009 12:26 am

Thanks, Anima. It makes life easier, to understand what's going on.
No, the question related to the set of pictures in the previous lot. Whare there is a pic of boxwood billets, and above that a picture of boxwood blanks, rounded down, but only just, and bored out. That's what I'd like to know if this is normal practice, to drill the boxwood blanks through the middle.