Galician Smallpipe, the answer for play at home.

Moderators: earthjig, anima

Traduzca

Galician Smallpipe, the answer for play at home.

Postby LuifeSpain » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Here I present the solution of all my gaita problems: The Yuri´s Galician Smallpipe.

Basically it´s an scottish smallpipe in A, maybe louder than normal models, but still playable at home. It has two rich harmonic drones in A and E, and a round bag with a very galician form. You can play in Pechado fingering (closed Galician fingering) and it allows half tones, so you can play in minor scale. It´s made in a really hard wood and beautifull bone rings.

It´s a very good alternative for play gaita at home, and I use it for learn a lot of tunes without the dissapointment of the neigbours. I put a pair of videos for show you guys the great invention of our great Master Yuri.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bio9LYTj7SM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga5Nz2huUd0
LuifeSpain

Re: Galician Smallpipe, the answer for play at home.

Postby anima » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:00 pm

Hey now that is cool. :-) Very full sound to them. Nice.... I like...... :D

What is the wood?

Some very fancy fingering in those video clips, you need to slow some of those down and deconstruct them for us (in video) :mrgreen:

Beautiful work Yuri and superb playing Luife.

Jeff
The Managment....
anima
Site Admin

Postby MatthewVanitas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Huh, I was wondering this just today "is there any gaitita, Spanish smallpipe, Galician half-long, etc?" Glad to see others have pondered the same, and not at all surprised to see Yuri figuring out a solution.

So I take it cylindrical bore, and with off-the-shelf SSP reeds? I was actually imagining that basically an SSP with Galician-fingered chanter would probably be the most straightforward solution, though you'd lose the ability to play the higher notes. Though I had also wondered is a Galician version of a Border Pipe with a conical chanter could be made so it could overblow, but still be at indoor volumes.

Are you finding it a big limitation not to be able to blow into a higher octave?
MatthewVanitas

Postby Yuri » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:31 am

Actually, it's a slightly flared bore, not completely straight. Which is why (together with the bell) the sound is rather stronger than normal smallpipes.
Yuri

Postby anima » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:04 am

Hey Yuri, what is the reed and will it overblow?
The Managment....
anima
Site Admin

Postby Yuri » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:33 pm

The chanter reed is a straightforward Gibson Fireside one (in this case I used a larger one than a normal A reed, but cut it back to about the size of an off-the-shelf A reed. The difference is that it is less sanded (scraped), so as a result it is that bit louder again. But normally I would use a normal A chanter reed.) This also explains why the taper is so gentle. The reed will only work up to a taper, it is designed to work with a straight bore, after all. If the taper is increased further, the reed refuses to work any more.
The drone reeds are single-reed, composite ones, wooden body, carbon fibre tongues.
Yuri

Postby MatthewVanitas » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:55 pm

Is the limited taper for the purpose of making the pipes sound more gaita-like, or just to add a little bit of volume?

Would it work just as well with a straight cylinder bore, and thus a little bit quieter and more "housebroken"? Now you've got me envisioning a cylindrical-bore pipe with a solid-filled ornamental flare at the bottom to maintain gaita aesthetics, maybe with some relief cut just outside the cylinder bore to decrease weight...

I shouldn't be surprised that when I asked myself "is anybody making a gaitita for indoor play?" the answer just happens to be "Yuri". :lol:
MatthewVanitas

Postby Yuri » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:30 am

The taper is for more volume, as is the bell. I personally find smallpipes a bit too much on the quiet side. Fine for solo indoor playing, but limiting when other instruments come into it. This slightly tapered variety has a bit more presence with other instruments, though it's hard to tell as generally it depends on the number and combination. For example, when I tried playing with a really loud hurdy-gurdy (of the Hungarian type loudness, though not of the actual type, these ones are very much louder tan the more familiar French types), well, I had to give up, as I couldn't hear the hurdy-gurdy . The pipe was very much like Luife's one, except different fingering. On the other hand, when playigng with a tabor pipe, it's just right.
By the way, Matthew, I haven't forgotten about your set, it's in the works. Sorted out the brass problem by now, so it's down to making all the wooden fittings for the drones.
Yuri

Postby dan chaffee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:49 am

I have wondered; if one of the main differences between male and female galician chanters
is the diameter and taper of the bore?
dan chaffee

Postby aneji » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Thread revival time!

Hey guys, I was really excited to find this thread, I am also looking for a open/gaita fingering smallpipe for home/small pub use. I would really like to hear Yuri's version, but the videos are down, is there any other way to hear them, becouse this really sounds exciting.
aneji

Next

Return to Gaita Galega y Asturiana/Galician and Asturian Bagpipes