Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

reeds

Moderators: earthjig, anima

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

reeds

Post by anima » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:54 pm

What's the deal with gaita reeds, are they fairly uniform, that is will they work in just about any chanter or are they more like uilleann reeds - made specifically for that chanter to that makers design? do I need to be a reed maker for gaitas too or can I buy a reed "off the shelf (like GHB reeds) and have it work?

What about drone reeds, cane or composite?

Jeff
The Managment....

LuifeSpain

Re: reeds

Post by LuifeSpain » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 am

Like the bagpipes, now are two reed schools:

-Reeds for female bagpipes ( with makers like Ruben, Linares, Cubero...)

-Reeds for male bagpipes (with makers like Enriquez, Cubero also, Carlos Iglesias...)

Yoy can buy them easily in two internet stores:

For female reeds: http://www.arcoirismusic.com/

For male and female reeds: http://www.tununtunumba.com/

When you order a Reed, you must say: I need a reed for Seivane style bagpipes, or for Anton Corral bagpipes.
Some people uses a female reed into a male chanter, or a male reed into a female chanter and....they usually works...

About drone reeds: You can use seipal synthethic drone reeds. Plastic tongue and sweet sound.

http://www.seivane.es/ga/nuestras_gaitas/index4.html

Also you can use Muiño drone reeds. Metal tongue and "metalic and strident sound":

http://www.tununtunumba.com/viento.asp? ... os%20gaita

Also you can use SHEPHERD DRONE REEDS for scottish bagpipe, but you need to work in the drone reed for adapt it to the drone diameter.

And Also, you can use CANE REEDS. The best sound of all...

Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:35 am

I didn't get the Part about "Male" and "Female" Reeds - can You clarify?
Also, Anton Varela offered chanterreeds in Plastic, a couple of years ago. I got one of these, the sound is OK, but it doesn't go into 2nd octave properly. Anything better on the market?

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Male reeds are for male gaitas, and female reeds are for female gaitas. They have a little different form.

Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:00 am

I still don't get it... What's the difference between a male and a female Gaita? Like: "Male Gaita-covers are blue and females are pink" - or what? :D

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Gaita makers
por LuifeSpain » Lun Abr 13, 2009 2:29 am

Like other things in life, it´s better if you can try with your hands, but listen:

Male bagpipes have more volume. Some people says these Gaitas have more harmonics, I don´t know, but something you feel the wind in the holes with your fingers. They are powerfull bagpipes, you can play with a scottish piper and you will hear both pipes.

Female bagpipes are more "european". They have an sweet sound, very comfortable with the drones. They have a good volume, but for outdoors are less volume than Male Gaitas.

This is a subjetive clasification of Galician Bagpipes and I don´t know his origin. I think in the past, all Gaitas are MALE gaitas, because the bores were bigger, the timber and volume were great. Today you can choose your type of gaita according with your preferences. I play female bagpipes because they sounds good with the ancient-closed fingering og Galician Bagpipes, but also I have some Male bagpipes and chanters.

There is a good maker in Galicia, Oli Xiraldez, that makes "REALLY-MALE GAITAS" http://www.olixiraldez.com/

(Push PORTAFOL for see his bagpipes and galician flutes)

He puts the reed not for play easily, so the power and sound of his bagpipes are...really male! You need good muscles in your arm for play them

I have a B and B flat chanter from him and I really like them.LuifeSpain

Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:56 am

Well - seems like I have, in my B-flat-Varela-chanter, a "male" reed then, and seemingly both types for my C-Chanter. However - I prefer playing with the girls :lol:

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:59 am

Celtpastor wrote: However - I prefer playing with the girls :lol:
Oh how I'm biting my tongue. :mrgreen:
The Managment....

Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:52 am

...You got ecaxtly, what I referred to... :mrgreen:

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:56 am

About plastic reeds for chanters, they haven´t use in Galicia now. All people use cane reeds.

Varela is a good maker, and he wants to do innovations, but for now, the quality of a cane reed can´t be the same as a plastic reed. In closed-fingering, they don´t work :(