Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Seivane vs. Varela gaitas

Moderators: earthjig, anima

chaotikend

Seivane vs. Varela gaitas

Post by chaotikend » Tue May 12, 2009 7:45 pm

I've had a Varela gaita in the past and was wondering if anyone can comment on the difference in sound between that and a Seivane gaita. Anyone have both brands?

Thanks alot,
Shan

chaotikend

Re: Seivane vs. Varela gaitas

Post by chaotikend » Wed May 13, 2009 11:04 am

What I mean is, is one "male" and the other "female." Is the Varela more "muscular" in volume than a Seivane? Is the Seivane sweeter sounding? Let me know if I am terribly mistaken. :D

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Thu May 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Varela learns a lot of bagpipe making with the "ancestral" Seivane: Xose Seivane, the father of the actual makers that are brothers. Xose Seivane makes powerfull bagpipes in the past, and now Seivane bagpipes are less volume but more sweet.

So Varela and Seivane makes female bagpipes. Both are good makers, but Seivane is more famous and he has a lot of "technologic" tools for make bagpipes. Also has workmen that do some work for make bagpipes. They are an "industry".

Varela is a single man, and he makes bagpipes alone. Maybe he hasn´t the technology of Seivane, but his bagpipes are great.

Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor » Tue May 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Probably You could say: Seivane is the teacher and Varela is the pupil (, which even is, as Luife explained, a fact ;) ).
In many points, both are comparable. Now - in some points, Seivane is "better" - the designs of the outside he offers are more elaborate, some people estimate his Gaitas higher because his enterprise has more experience. However - he's more expansive as well!
Varela being the pupil experiments more (e.g. the only Gaitamaker I know offering synthetic chanterreeds, he offered Gore-Bags before Seivane did a.s.o.) and he's cheaper. He doesn't offer, on the other hand, as many more complicated combing and other design-options.
I'm happy with my Varela (even though I found the blowpipe too narrow and gave it a slightly bigger bore-diametre), but I surely never heard anyone complain about a Seivane either...