Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Chanter reeds

Moderators: earthjig, anima

JimmyThePiper

Re: Chanter reeds

Post by JimmyThePiper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:41 am

Well, I am aware of those two stores but I'm preparing to start a business (reeds are part of it) and as such I can't really compete if I buy from the competition ;) (besides I'm not too happy with their quality, I've gotten reeds that are open in the sides far too often. I repaired them but still...)

I can contact them by phone or mail, sure, and its what I'll do if I have. I was just wondering if anyone had any e-mail addresses..

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:33 am

physical store or internet store - where are you located? :D
The Managment....

JimmyThePiper

Post by JimmyThePiper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 am

hehe ;) First internet, if it goes well I might open a local one too. The final objective is to facilitate international trade of bagpipes (of all kinds) in both directions; but since money is a problem I will have to build up from simple accessories and adaptations.
I live in Portugal, right next to Spain.

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:21 pm

I have a few Linares reeds that I like that I got from tununtunumba, but I'd rather put my money in someone from this forum, so let me know when you are up and running. :-)

Jeff
The Managment....

JimmyThePiper

Post by JimmyThePiper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:01 pm

Will do!

Actually haven't tried the Linares yet, its in the mail (been trying to get my hands on as many different reeds as possible).
All my cubero reeds have warped for some reason (none where split though). (tununtunumba, though I doubt they have anything to do with it)
The Henriquez reeds have all arrived fine and have been playing well. (tununtunumba)
The Ruben reed I tried arrived open in both sides (where the blades meet). Fixed it and works quite nicely. (arcoiris)
Also tried a Fuentes GHB reed (arrived open in the side as well...) fixed it but sounds quite off tune on some notes. (arcoiris)
The Linares was ordered from arcoiris as well; we'll see how it behaves.

To be perfectly fair, it may not have anything to do with the stores themselves, a mail ride is not a easy thing for a fragile reed (worse now in the winter with all the temperature and humidity shifts in the trip, not to speak of the handling of packages).

Lots of research is still in order :)

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:44 pm

I have several Cubero reeds which are medium in strength, the Enriquez one though is a real rock to blow, very hard. The Linares are the lightest reeds I've tried so far.
The Managment....

JimmyThePiper

Post by JimmyThePiper » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:52 pm

Seems to be in line with my experience, have you tried Ruben? They are easier than Cubero but since The Linares one hasn't arrived, don't know which is easier.

You mentioned earlier about not knowing if Linares was female or male reed; check here http://clip.dia.fi.upm.es/, author states it works especially well on Seivane (Considered female gaitas).

Its curious, here in Portugal I haven't heard such terms (although I have heard some people saying Seivane makes gaitas for little girls; roughly translated :lol:), and from the little I've been able to tell from Spanish sites and forums they seem to differentiate by school (line of makers) rather than gender, like Corral school or Seivane school. I have seen it referred by gender but always seem like a mocking tone (like here in Portugal).
See this passage: http://es.groups.yahoo.com/group/l-gaita/message/39009
"...distinguen por el timbre, más alto en las de la escuela de Corral (Gil, Oli, Cela, Castro...lo que algunos llaman 'gaitas macho', con más riqueza de armónicos), en que también interviene el tipo de 'palletas' que les conviene."

As far as reeds go, my gaita is closer to Corral than Seivane but Ruben reeds work just fine (and they work well on Seivane too, I've tried)so, I don't get the impression that they can be so easily divided.

Patricia Cela makes male ones (Corral School) right?

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:57 pm

JimmyThePiper wrote:
Patricia Cela makes male ones (Corral School) right?
Yes, supposedly, but at this point in my piping, I'm not sure I could tell the difference.
The Managment....

JimmyThePiper

Post by JimmyThePiper » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Well to be honest I can't tell immediately either but see here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1NeqgirH0c Seivane (Female).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9791Dy07Kk Corral (probably)(Male).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtfKvrvPR4w Corral (The actual guy ;), they play somewhere in the middle of the video, fish around ; ).

Can you hear the difference? Corral is harsher, more body to the sound.

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:32 pm

It's subtle to me, but I think hear it.

Linares is supposedly a female reed, but it works just fine in my chanter.
The Managment....