Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

American Pipers

Moderators: earthjig, anima

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

American Pipers

Post by anima » Fri May 15, 2009 8:58 am

I'm not sure if anyone here could definitively answer this, but....... I am wondering how big the gaita community here in the USA (or even outside of Spain) is? I can only think of 4 that I know of here in the USA, one in Chicago, one in Oregon, one in California, and one in Tennessee. There have to be others out there, right? Are there any gaita get-togethers over here (like a Spanish Tionol)?
(cross posted in the Galega and Asturian forums)

Jeff
The Managment....

LuifeSpain

Re: American Pipers

Post by LuifeSpain » Fri May 15, 2009 7:35 pm

I have a good friend in Florida. His name is Fernando and he is from Uruguay, he has a good Galician Gaita and he plays in closed-fingering. I think you can contact with him in this e-mail:

facosta@tampabay.rr.com

He also plays uilleann pipes, with beautifull home-made drones!!!

luchovalpo

Post by luchovalpo » Sat May 16, 2009 8:41 pm

Try Ted Ceplina in Chicago, and contact Cristina pato for the gaiteiros and a pipeband from New York.

chaotikend

Post by chaotikend » Mon May 18, 2009 12:52 pm

There's Lark Camp, which is a music camp in Northern California. They have a gaita band that sometimes collaborates with a brass band. Alexandre Cano (from Spain) normally comes down to lead it.

There's another gaita band in Monterey, CA led by Brian Steeger.

I haven't been to either one, but the gaita band videos from Lark Camp look fun.

oregaiteiro

Post by oregaiteiro » Wed May 20, 2009 1:13 am

The Lark in the Morning gaita band , and the one Brian Steeger shepherds are basically the same folks. There are about 15 of us at this point. Alexandre Cadarso, from Bertamirans ( near Santiago de Compostela) has been to Lark four times to teach, and it seems we are on our own for a while, though he is still a good mentor and friend and keeps in good contact. We range, I would say, from beginner to advanced intermediate. We play mostly open fingering style, though a few of us are experimenting with pechado fingering.

There is another piper in Seattle that I know of, and another here in Southern Oregon, who is a very accomplished early musician, and can play quite well.

I'd love to see a gathering of gaiteiros in the US.
kc

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Wed May 20, 2009 4:18 pm

oregaiteiro wrote: I'd love to see a gathering of gaiteiros in the US.
Piggyback on a tionol maybe?
The Managment....

John Cunningham

Post by John Cunningham » Thu May 21, 2009 10:41 pm

I've been working on my Seivane gaita gallega for 2 years or so. There's at least one other gaita player, besides me, in the Seattle area. I would second the motion for for a tiniol collaboration with our irish pipers friends.

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Fri May 22, 2009 12:34 am

But if you are Galician Bagpipers born in America, you can´t name this event with words like Tionol or Gathering....It´s better to employ Galician WordS for name the pipers meeting: XUNTANZA DE GAITEIROS or FOLIADA :p

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Fri May 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Of course Luife, I like foliada. :-)

John skelton always brings his Gaita to the St. Louis tionol and play at the concert, so it is a welcome instrument I'd say. I wonder if Mike Mullins would be open to allowing us to congregate at his Tionol. I'll contact him and let you all know. Of course the next one won't be for another 11 months but.....

Jeff
The Managment....

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Fri May 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Maybe you can collect money and pay me a travel. Then I can do a Workshop about Galician technic, Ornamentation and differents fingerings ;)))))

It´s joke. But I really like to visit USA...Maybe One day...