Forum Information and Rules

Moderators: earthjig, anima

Traduzca

Forum Information and Rules

Postby anima » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:46 am

Q: What does the forum have to offer?

A: A place to discuss any and all aspects of Spanish bagpipes (gaitas), piping, and Spanish music. Civil discourse is the rule, no jerks allowed.

Q: What languages does this forum support?

A: The official languages of this forum are English and Spanish, however feel free to post in whatever language you are comfortable in. You do not have to post in English. :) If you can also provide a translation of your post (or someone else's), then all the better, but it is not required.

The forum software supports localizations for many different languages. Currently supported are American and British English, Spanish, Galego, Català, and País Valencià. Other languages can be added if you ask (and they are available). It is important to note that changing the default language of the site only changes the language that the site renders in, it does not change the language that the original post or topic was written in. Changing the default language therefore does not translate posts and threads. If you need to translate something, I suggest using the button above or a translation service like Google Translate or Babelfish. You can change your default language localization in the User Control Panel or by clicking on one of the little flags on the main Gaita Forum page.

Q: What about buying and selling stuff through the list?

A: The members of this forum are scattered around the world. Many do not have ready access to gaitas or pipemakers. If you are looking for a gaita or are looking to sell an item please post the request to the list. Any negotiations should then take place off list.

Q: Can I advertise my business on the list?

A: Advertising or promotion of businesses operated by forum members is welcome IN MODERATION (ie no spamming). Business owners may post price lists, wait times, new sets, or links to online catalogues and ordering sites. Business name, address, and website information is allowed (and welcomed) as PART OF THE SIGNATURE LINE in postings. If a vendor or dealer can supply an item that is mentioned in a thread then they are welcome to announce the fact. (ie sourcing gaitas, reeds, music, CD's etc.) FLOODING the list with multiple 'for sale' mailings is not welcome.

Q: Can I post files and pictures on the forum?

A: Absolutely, the images can reside on an outside server or be attached to your post. Also, try to keep image size to about 500 pixels wide whenever possible, I hate having to scroll sideways to see the whole picture. Some folks are still on a dial-up connection. I know... it's hard to believe, but until these luddites move up to a broadband connection, limiting your image size will make viewing images much easier for them.

Other things to consider.

Posting to the forum
Posts should be on topic and relevant. Ask yourself this, " Does my post advance the conversation or is it just drivel?", It's a waste of everyone's time to have to wade through pages and pages of chaff to get to the meat of the topic. The moderators have been given a fair amount of leeway in keeping posts topical and relevant. The moderators are not, however, a group of "forum nazis". Their job is to resolve disputes, keep the peace, and keep it topical. If everyone plays by the rules their job should be quite easy. We are not in the business of censoring posts.

Due to the faceless and anonymous nature of the internet it is quite easy to be a jerk. Childish behaviors, flame wars, personal insults, sophomoric comments, and condescension can be quite fun, but are not appropriate to these forums. If you must partake of such boorish behavior we'll take you to the mat for it. If you don't have something nice to say, then you should just sit on your hands and keep your mug shut. Above all, keep a sense of humor please. Face it, we're all a little nuts to be playing these things. It'd be nice if everyone could just check their diagnosis at the door.

References to Monty Python are always welcome and encouraged. They are not against the rules.

Reviews and opinions:
Reviews and opinions of instruments, music etc. should be fair, and respectful at all times. Negative reviews (and positive ones for that matter) are welcome, but you must be able to explain your views. Just saying, "I think his gaitas are crap" is not acceptable, saying "I don't like his gaitas, because they are consistently flat" is acceptable.
This rule is NOT up for debate. You should think before you post. We would also expect that if the knowledge you have to share is suspect, you might think twice about posting. This should be a forum that focuses on valid information about real piping issues.

Newbie Pipers/Gaiteros:
For many of the seasoned veterans in the forum some of the questions or comments posted may seem pretty basic. Please be patient. Some of the forum members may not even be pipers at all (yet) and may just have the good taste (and the cojones) to enjoy the Gaita and traditional Spanish music.

Off Topic posting:
Off topic posting is tolerated to a degree. Remember this is a forum about the Gaita. If you must post off topic then please put either OT or Off Topic in the subject heading so those who don't wish to read it can bypass the thread. If the topic strays too far it may get moved. Religion and politics are usually bad choices for discussion.

Other Rules:

NO SPAM. If you spam the forums, I will hunt you down and ...............

One final note
Please try to keep your hands clean, your hair combed and play like good little boys and girls. That being said, if you can not play by the rules, I will have absolutely no compunction about bumping your shaggy ass from the list.

:ugeek: The Management
The Managment....
anima
Site Admin

Re: Forum Information and Rules

Postby anima » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:46 pm

If anyone is willing to provide a good translation of the above post into Spanish, it would be helpful. :D

Jeff
The Managment....
anima
Site Admin

Re: Forum Information and Rules

Postby anima » Tue May 04, 2010 9:00 pm

Galician and Asturian forums merged into one giant Galician/Asturian forum. :D

Me han fusionado los foros gaita gallega y asturiana en una gran GaitaGalega y Asturiana foro.
The Managment....
anima
Site Admin

Return to Bagpipes for sale/Gaitas para la venta