Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

Diego Piñeiro´s Xeremias

Moderators: earthjig, anima

LuifeSpain

Diego Piñeiro´s Xeremias

Post by LuifeSpain » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Some photos of his work. Any question, write to diehgopi@hotmail.com

Celtpastor

Re: Diego Piñeiro´s Xeremias

Post by Celtpastor » Tue May 19, 2009 7:30 pm

Beeeautifull! What's the range? Overblowable? Chromatic? Other keys available than Do? Price? Baines had the theory, Xeremias actually evolved from Sacs de Gemecs - Would You agree?

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Thu May 21, 2009 8:40 am

The chanter is quite similar to Galician Open chanter, in fact some makers uses Galician chanters....BUT... Diego Piñeiro makes a reproduction of and OLD Xeremia Chanter...and this is different from the moder ones, maybe without crhomatic notes but with the ancient flavour.

The modern chanters can oberblow the same as a Galician one but...this is not important. You will not overblow anything because the repertorie from Mallorca don´t have songs with second octave notes, and if you want to play the second octave, you will find some problems using three drones at the same time.

Tratidional keys are Do and Brilliant Do, but Diego can makes new Sib Xeremias, and he has made a kids version in Re. Very funny and very cheap (450 euros).

About Baines theory....I don´t know...Maybe the Xeremia is the son of the Sac de gemecs OR maybe the Sac de gemecs is the son of the Xeremia. Ancient Xeremias are more elaborated instruments with better appearance than Ancient Sac de Gemecs (though the tenor drones are dummys in some instruments), so it´s possible the Sac de Gemecs it´s a devaluated version of the marvellous Xeremia.

Anyway, I think that the appearance of the Xeremia and the Sac de Gemecs with the drones in this way has a good sound reason: of course, it has sound benefits, but I think the main reason it to have something similar to Italian Zampognas in appearance.

ethnopiper

Post by ethnopiper » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:03 am

Hello,
i have a Sac de Gemecs, it is in Do, 3 drones play, it can not get over an octave in the chanter and the semi-tones are limited. i can get a Bb (si b mol) (flattened 7th). the bottom note below the Do is a Si as is the top.
the drones are Do, Sol, do. i was told if i am playing in Do then use 2 drones (Do and Sol) but if i play in Fa then use the the 2 Do drones.
it is loud. i could not get a chanter reed to play correctly, so i put a Do galician chanter reed and it plays ok now. the drones are plastic.
it is made made from cocobolo, but if i was get get a Sac again, i would go for olive wood. i find cocobolo a bit heavy to hold, as the weight is to the front and the bag is not underneath the arm enough to keep the weight. i think the bag of the Xeremias is better designed as it is longer. i play melodies from Catalonia and Mallorca and love them very much.

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm

I would like to hear them, do you have any sound files you could post? I have always wondered about the weight at the front of the bag.
The Managment....