Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

youtube videos

Moderators: earthjig, anima

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

youtube videos

Post by anima » Wed May 13, 2009 6:21 pm

I discovered a fellow here in Kansas City who plays the zampogna (actually he has 2 zampognas). He traveled to Sicily, to have them made and also filmed a documentary about their traditional construction while he was there- the film is still in editing, but sounds cool.

Here are a few videos of him playing his pipes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P52lDFcwF4U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i36miQPA ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwdlraav ... annel_page

:-)

Jeff
The Managment....

CHasR

Re: youtube videos

Post by CHasR » Thu May 14, 2009 9:05 am

Yes, He's an excellent zampognari, totally immersed in the tradition.
I count maybe 20 zampognari (a generous estimate) in the USA today, maybe about 20 more who WANT to play.
I'm opening a boutique, Brian :lol:

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Thu May 14, 2009 9:12 am

Do you play Chas?
The Managment....

CHasR

Post by CHasR » Thu May 14, 2009 6:49 pm

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Thu May 14, 2009 7:34 pm

How did you come to play the zampogna? It would be one of the more eclectic of the bagpipes at best.

jeff
The Managment....

CHasR

Post by CHasR » Fri May 15, 2009 8:13 am

well since you asked, Jeff;
I ended up playing GHB for a living & as you know, there are a LOT of Italians, & ItalianAmericans in all the big eastcoast cities. Buddy of mine used to work the south philly crowd, but retired out west a few years back. Before he left he said, CHasR, I'm gonna give your number to all these Italians down here, and you're never gonna have a Christmans eve to yourself again..."so I say, yeh, right, sure, thanks pal"', didnt think anything of it, but Lo and behold, I started getting all these calls,
"Can you come and play 'Tu Scendi Dalle Stelle'and some Christmas carols on christmas eve for us?"
next thing I know here I am, in full highland #1 dress, freezing cold Dec 24th, middle of the street with a live nativity (sheep, goats, cow, actors dressed up as the holy family), sparkler on a pole supposed to be the star, about 2-300 people all singins along , in Italian, and at midnight precisely, the big moment, I play 'Tu Scendi'...then into one of the houses wher i saw THE BIGGEST nativity scene (presepiu) with electric light, running water, star wallapaper, dozens of figurines.
SO some of the older folks began to talk to me about the zampogna (which I knew what it was from recordings, conservatory, and bagpipe school), why don t you get one, you could play that, we used to have one many years ago,
Found out how to bring one over, bought + learned it, talked a local bagpiping-oboist into playing ciaramella, and here we are today.
It's a great pipe!

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Fri May 15, 2009 8:43 am

Very cool, the zampogna is on my "bagpipes to learn before I die" list. :-) Behind the uilleann pipes (already have) and the gaita (on order), so it'll be a little while yet, but it is always good to develop a knowledge base in advance.

Jeff
The Managment....

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Mon May 25, 2009 4:31 pm

I visited with David from the above videos the other day and have to say that I am impressed. It was the first time I had heard the zamp in person and it is much better than on youtube. He's got me hooked. :-)

Jeff
The Managment....

Ciarameddaru

Post by Ciarameddaru » Tue May 26, 2009 5:39 pm

Jeff, I'm glad you enjoyed the zampogna. It was nice getting to hear the Uilleann pipes again for me. I hope you are getting hooked on the sounds of southern italian folk music. I see either an organetto or a zampogna in your near future! btw, I think I'm getting addicted to this organetto. Someone needs to pull it away from me before I drive myself (or my neighbors) insane :)

David

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Wed May 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Ciarameddaru wrote:Jeff, I'm glad you enjoyed the zampogna. It was nice getting to hear the Uilleann pipes again for me. I hope you are getting hooked on the sounds of southern italian folk music. I see either an organetto or a zampogna in your near future! btw, I think I'm getting addicted to this organetto. Someone needs to pull it away from me before I drive myself (or my neighbors) insane :)

David
if you are lucky, it will drive the neighbors away and then you can play i peace. :D

Jeff
The Managment....