Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

rubber "vulcanizing"?

Moderators: earthjig, anima

Hans- Joerg

rubber "vulcanizing"?

Post by Hans- Joerg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:08 am

I am going to make rubber bags for Uilleann Pipes ("caulde blown bagpipes"). However, I am not going to glue or stich them, but plan to "weld" them (squeeze layers together with heated pliers or so). I even though couldn´t find the right word for this procedure. In Germany it is called "vulkanisieren". What do you call it?
My question now: Is there anybody on this forum who knows something about this and could give some hints?

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Re: rubber "vulcanizing"?

Post by anima » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:33 am

weld works for english
The Managment....

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:11 pm

I wouldn't trust just the weld. I don't know how strong that can be, but mistakes always seem to creap in...
There is a maker in Texas, Seth Hamon (no, no gaitas, only others), he makes bags from leather, but using a rather unconventional technique. He glues the two sides together, and glues over it a strip of leather. So far conventional. Then he turns the whole thing inside out, and glues a strip of leather onto the seam. This side becomes the outside.
_
T
U
If you squeeze the three above images togather, you get the cross-section of the seam of the eventual bag. The outside is on the top. I think this is worth doing in rubber, too, it is far stronger than just gluing two sides together.

MichaelLoos

Post by MichaelLoos » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:20 am

The welt is just as strong as the material itself.
I've seen many welded rubber bags for gaida, and while they do have many disadvantages and are definitely not recommendable for mouth blown bagpipes - they do not leak, and they last for many years (longer than the wooden parts that usually rot away, because the moisture cannot escape).
And those bags are CHEAP, so I guess they must be quick and easy to make.