Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

a maybe stupid question...

Moderators: earthjig, anima

Yuri

a maybe stupid question...

Post by Yuri » Tue May 05, 2009 4:19 pm

What is exactly the reason for the smaller drone(s) being positioned the way they are, over the arm? (While the main drone is over the shoulder).
Well, that's the question.

oregaiteiro

Re: a maybe stupid question...

Post by oregaiteiro » Tue May 05, 2009 5:03 pm

I sure don't know the historical reason, but the effect is wonderful - surrounded by harmony.

Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor » Tue May 05, 2009 6:36 pm

It's a bit like dogs licking their... "Why not?" And it's practical! Italian Piva is constructed the same way, some Bulgarian Gaidaplayers like to lean the drone over the arm - at least, You don't need a cord to hold the 2nd drone upright... ;)

Yuri

Post by Yuri » Wed May 06, 2009 12:24 am

OK.
An aside. Talking about dogs licking their...
Two farmers are talking , both leaning on the fence across their boundary. They look down, and the dog is licking his... . One of them says." I wish I could do that." The other one replies "Well, why don't you? It's your dog, after all."
Yeah, yeah, I know. Baaaad taste, and all that. I just couldn't resist.
Back to the topic. I still can't quite see it. Especially as a maker. I mean, it's simple enough to make a multiple stock. And from a listener's point of view, it makes no difference, really. Is there anyone knowing the historical reason for it?
(And by the way, it's Macedonian, not Bulgarian, as far as I know.0

Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor » Wed May 06, 2009 4:46 am

...most Macedonians I saw had the drone just hanging down, it's rather Djura-players with their shorter drones I've seen over the arm...
I've seen pipers playing drunk, sometimes it happens that the bass-drone can slip off the shoulder. When the drone leans on the other arm, this can't happen... :lol:

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Wed May 06, 2009 10:50 am

I think we can´t find historical reason for this question. Simply, one day one maker put the tenor drone in the actual place, and this fact became trascendent, or it was a consecuence of delete the CHILLON (double reed litle drone in fifht) of the four-voiced Gaita from Arzua and Melide.

Curuxeiras was a piper who played a single drone Gaita, with the bass drone put over the arm, and some pipers were doing the same thing, but phinally this is not a trascendental fact for Galician piping now.

For see this : http://www.agaitadofol.com/Imaxes/Portadas/08-05-19.jpg
http://www.agaitadofol.com/Imaxes/Portadas/04-09-05.jpg