Information: Please take a moment and visit your profile to choose a flag.

practice chanter

Moderators: earthjig, anima

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

practice chanter

Post by anima » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:38 am

I ordered a gaita practice chanter from Tununtunumba.com, My set won't be finished until August some time, so I'm hoping this will give me a head start on learning the fingerings. Are these commonly used to learn the gaita?

Jeff
The Managment....

LuifeSpain

Re: practice chanter

Post by LuifeSpain » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:33 am

What I have seen is that the "Galician" Practice Chanter is not used frequently, they are not very popular. The facts are:

-The persons who starts with Galician Bagpipe begins to learn with a "modified" plastic flute, it can be a baroque flute with modified holes, or a tin whistle with extra holes (this is rare). A flute, in my opinion, is worst than a practice chanter.

- In other hand, the persons who starts playing do it with a normal Gaita, and for practice in home, they use the Master Gaita from Presedo.

When you receive the chanter, tell us if it allows to play chromatic notes, I don´t know this. For practice fingering it can be good.

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:57 pm

I received the practice chanter from tununtunumba today. It is a appears well made, has a plastic reed. It is in tune with itself but the tonic is B. I'm not sure if this was intentional or if there is a way to tune it up to C or not. I haven't really been able to get it to the 2nd octave. I am not sure if that is the nature of the reed or just me. I am now just getting used to running the scales - different enough from the uilleann pipes to make it unfamiliar for me. It should suffice for the next month or two until my real set arrives.

Jeff
Attachments
100_1139.jpg
100_1139.jpg (211.47 KiB) Viewed 3788 times
100_1138.jpg
100_1138.jpg (206.04 KiB) Viewed 3791 times
The Managment....

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Ok, hold on here. I'm confused (so what else is new?)

Is a "Do" chanter the same thing as a "C" chanter in english?

What should the lowest note on a C chanter be? is it B or C?

I was looking at the Seivane website and my practice chanter seems to match the fingerings for their C chanter (lowest note is B), however all of the notes are offset by one from those in my copy of Foxo's book. That is he shows lowest note on the chanter to be C# and not B. So now I'm not sure how to read the music and am confused. How hould htis be fingered, or rather what notes should the fingerings correspond to ?
The Managment....

lucky141

Post by lucky141 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:15 am

I have the same practice chanter. No way to get the second octave... It's not a good instrument, but it does pretty well its job (let you practice with gaita fingering).

I don't know the exact pitch of this chanter, but it's not a problem since it's not meant to play together with other instruments (only to practice alone).

The fingering is the same of a "Do" ("C") chanter, the lowest hole is a Si (B). If you ignore the lowest and the back hole you can think of it as a C penny whistle (the fingering is quite the same).

Maybe on Seivane's site the fingering is written in Re (D): for some reason many gaiteros prefer to write sheet music in Re (D), so when they read for example a D note they uncover only the lowest hole playing acually a C instead of a D

I know it can be a little confusing...
think about penny whistles: they are in various pitches but they have the same fingering. Imagine to play a D tune on a D whistle: the notes you are playing are the actual notes written on paper. Then grab a C whistle and play the tune using the same fingering you used on D: the tune is the same but it's now played in C.

Writing in C or D becomes then only a matter of comfort (I personally prefer to read in C, maybe if you are used to Uilleann pipes you may find more comfortable to read D sheet music)

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:25 am

Exact! Lucy141 has explained it ver well. In Galicia there are two forms for write Galician Music: In C or in D.

There are a lot of people who prefers the C write form, because the written notes are the real sound notes. If you read a C note, you play a C note.

In the D system, you read D note, but the sound that you are playing is C note (unless you are playing a D gaita).

Don´t complicate you with the practice chanter: Maybe it can´t get the second octave, but you don´t need this for the major part of Galician Songs. This is the same with minor scale notes: Old galician bagpipe tunes are in major scale.

You will notify when you receive the Gaita that there is a big difference between the practice chanter and the real chanter.

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:43 am

OK, with the uilleann pipes we only play a D system (that is all chanters and music are played as if they are in D).

So there are two systems for the gaita C and D, which is more common, which should I start off learning first? Which is most music written in?

Jeff
The Managment....

LuifeSpain

Post by LuifeSpain » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:37 pm

If you buy OS SEGREDOS DA GAITA (the secrets of bagpipe), you will find all music in D written.

If you buy another book of compositions like SOLO DE GAITA, the music is written in C.

Also there are books that includes C and D sheets like PENTAFOL (http://www.bideweb.com/Alberte/Opentafol/IndexCas.htm)

So I think there is not a more common type, try to know both because you will find them a lot of times.

Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:02 am

Another thing: The PC is not a "bad" one because it cannot overblow! That's the price You have to pay for the low (practising) volume! Simple physics of reed instruments: They overblow only within a certain range of conical bores combined with certain strengths of reeds (double-reeds only). Anything quieter and less conical than UP: No overblowing possible. Anything louder and more conical than Gaita: No overblowing possible. Even some of the louder Gaita-types won't overblow anymore. So, anything with reduced volume for practising-purposes: No overblowing possible.

anima
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by anima » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks for the link Luife, I just bought the O Pentafol book. :-)
The Managment....